I quite enjoyed the end of the last week. I was facilitating a training session on ‘what is innovation and how can we be more creative’. This is another aspect of my role that I quite enjoy.
This is precisely what I mean about not hating or disliking my job as there are some aspects I really enjoy. I just find the bureaucracy suffocating and lack of direction irritating.
One of the things people suggest you do when you feel miserable about your working life is work out which aspects you do or don’t like. Is it the job or is it the organisation? Would it be different if you took on a similar role at another organisation?
I’ve spent a considerable amount of time thinking about this. I enjoy:
- Facilitating sessions on innovation and creativity.
- Facilitating ideation workshops.
- Designing – workshops, products.
- Inspiring people.
- Witnessing change in behaviour.
- I even enjoy the numbers side – creating budgets and am pretty good at developing forecasting models.
What I don’t like is:
- Lack of clarity/direction
- Lack of focus
- Unclear objectives/parameters to work to
The fundamental change I require is to leave fundraising behind, this means identifying a career path that is different to the one that I have known for the last 10 or so years, but what is it and how do I get there? i have some ideas that I will explore in future blogs.